Friday, October 12, 2018

Little Things Can Mean A Lot

My wife and I went out for dinner last evening and before we returned home we had spent nearly $500.00. Two dinners cost a bit over forty bucks while a automatic dishwasher accounted for the remainder and I don't even like automatic dishwashers. If I had my way, we would not have one of those things in our home. More on that later.

We were backed into a corner and felt we had to purchase a dishwasher for two reasons. First: One day, we two oldsters will come to our senses and realize that even though a two story home with four bedrooms and two flights of steps offers cardio exercise benefits, we will need to show new home buyers a dishwasher. Secondly: Our adult children and grandkids chipped in on my wife's birthday to give her money earmarked, 'dishwasher.' We appreciate their gift but make no mistake those children held self-interests in that gift. The last time they were all in our home the number counted 27-people and that generated many dishes, which were all hand washed and towel dried by people other than the old folks.

Now, let me make my case for a dishwasher-less house. I believe an automatic dishwasher 'diminishes' marital bliss. (No, I am not senile nor have I lost my mind). I observed marital bonding as a kid growing up as I watched my parents each night after supper share in the dish washing chores. Mother washed and dad dried and put away. Those many years my wife and I did not have a dishwasher, we did likewise. Even with a dishwasher, when it's just my wife and I we never use the  automatic dishwasher. Those moments sharing a joint chore near the end of the day provides a  married couple the opportunity to share their day, plan for a new day and simply chat without the distractions of others, television, gadgets or any outside interferences.

The Decatur Roustio's will use their new dishwasher Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. The other 362-days a year, my wife and I will do dishes together...it's a special time. Come to think of it, perhaps I am a little crazy.
(Touch)
Little Things

No comments:

Post a Comment