Monday, October 22, 2018

United We Flourish

I have been retired from basketball coaching for seventeen years. During those post retirement years, I have kept my hand 'in the game' by coordinating the Annual Decatur Team Soy Capital 8-Team Thanksgiving Basketball Tournament; a tournament that has produced well over 100-Division I players the likes of Shaun Livingston and Andre' Iguodala, both of the Golden State Warriors.

I have approached that tournament director's leadership role as I previously approached the 37-years of head coach leadership. I embrace the concept of 'ownership' and collectiveness . Let me explain. My assistant basketball coaches all held specific responsibilities but they each had welcomed input in all preparations and decision making. If those preparations and decisions worked toward success, those coaches will tell you that I gave credit. If those efforts fell short, I assumed any criticism, after all I was the one who elected to lead the charge. It was never important that  I be RIGHT but that WE GET  IT RIGHT. Our players understood that we never pointed fingers of blame towards teammates or officials. We embraced a simple motto: 'Respect All; Fear None.' ( I can think of some current leaders who would do well adopting this philosophy).

As I stated, I approach my leadership role with this Decatur Tournament in the same fashion. This past week I held a pre-tourney meeting for the 49th Annual Decatur Tourney. Twenty-one individuals representing various School District Departments were present including our District's Superintendent and Assistant Superintendent. This was not a mandatory meeting but those folks showed up because they 'feel' that ownership to our successes.

A wise man once told me, "When you take a leadership role find out what's expected, bring good people alongside who are committed and then deliver MORE. In the arena of education the students are the benefactors." Personally, I never lived on hoorahs except my father's "atta boys" when I was very young...those served as motivators. That said, let me leave you with his one comment from my father that still resonates with me today: "When you think you've accomplished a lot just look around...somebody accomplished more."

No comments:

Post a Comment