Friday, October 26, 2018

Let There Be Light

Yesterday, I was finishing up with some winterizing yard work with the task of replacing porch light-bulbs,  security motion-light bulbs and adjusting timer-lights. I thought how interesting the various lighting options these days. Aside from the aforementioned lights, we also have many landscape solar lights.

I recall in the late 1940's, Grandpa E.V. Bennett took me to visit some kinfolks in Kentucky backwoods country. The house had no indoor plumbing or electricity. I was introduced to the outdoor water pump for drinking water and watched as some lady heated my bath water over a wood burning stove. I also established a record for holding my breath on my first trip to the outhouse.

The only lighting in the house was kerosene/oil lamps. I was about seven years old and accustom to hearing our kitchen radio deliver the afternoon programs featuring the voices of Kate Smith, Bing  Crosby and Vaughn Monroe. In the evening our family sat around a Philco console radio to listen to 'One Man's Family,' 'Gangbusters,' 'My Friend Irma,' 'The Fat Man' and 'Fibber McGee & Molly.'  In this small almost cabin-like Kentucky farm house the only noise I heard was living room chatter by adults, cicadas and occasionally some distant howling and barking. I recall going to bed early and everybody up before daylight.

 I'm glad that experienced touched my journey but I very happy it was a brief moment in time for me.
(Touch)
The Old Lamplighter 

No comments:

Post a Comment