Monday, April 6, 2020

Can't Live on Hurrah's!

In the midst of this horrific and mind-numbing coronavirus, we note a plethora of kudos going out to medical personnel, i.e., doctors, nurses, police, firemen and EMT's. It is good and it is right to applaud these brave and committed mankind servants who place themselves in great personal danger  attending to the critically ill. Please consider other professionals and workers who continue to 'show up' at those essential jobs who also deserve our gratitude: the pharmaceutical providers, grocery store employees, sanitation workers, public transportation workers, delivery service folks, military personnel and school teachers who periodically go to their work places to prepare packets to provide for students who are homebound without computers.

I have observed my entire adult life that the aforementioned people have frequently been singled out for praise. I especially note, as others that politicians during campaigns always talk about increasing pay for first responders, educators and promising increasing the minimum pay. Sadly it is all smoke and mirrors, gibberish-jabber and bullcrap talk. Once the political campaign ends, the first political order of business is vote for your own pay raise and then plan  fundraisers for the next campaign. Okay, I'll confess, my cynicism is showing.

If we really appreciate these fearless workers, I have a suggestion (you knew I would), as we give trillions of stimulus dollars to businesses, corporation and other entities let's pay off any student loans of those healthcare providers, let's put two policemen in every squad car in high crime areas and pay them better. Let's have free job training for all military men and women coming out of service. And all those minimum wage people doing our dirty work, shall we give them a wage that doesn't require them to seek a second job.

I'm reminded of the memorable quote in the Jerry McGuire movie scene when Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Rod Tidwell (Cuba Golding) shouts at Sports agent, Jerry McGuire (Tom Cruise), "Show me the money!"

During my Illinois State collegiant days, (1957-1961)  I had a scholarship, which paid all but $15.00 per week. Along with that I was getting $45.00 per month for preparing the football field for home games, sweeping the gym floor before basketball practice and seeing that baseball's got to and from practice each day. My junior year, I asked the Athletic Director if he could bump my State job pay to the maximum, which was $60.00 per month. He said, "Roustio, you're doing a good job for us in baseball so I'll give it some thought." My reply was, "Moose, I can't live on hurrah's."





No comments:

Post a Comment