Friday, April 24, 2020

Turtles, Aging and Other Fun Topics

Although I don't get to 'see' my family members frequently as was the norm, I do find these 'social distancing' days putting me in cell phone touch with kinfolks more often. That's all fine but I do need to be on my toes for answering more difficult questions presented by our married (soon-to-be) fifty-nine year old son. More on that in a bit but first this...

Every doctor appointment my wife and I had this spring has been canceled due to the coronavirus. Those cancelations total eleven. Those were six months and annual appointments. Does that sound about right to all you other oldsters out there? Anyhow, Northgate Pet Clinic called the two days ago to remind us of James Wilkerson Yoder's annual checkup appointment. When I questioned their approach to social distancing, they said it's covered. Covered indeed. When my wife and I arrived wearing our masks, we were met in the parking lot by a mask wearing Pet Clinic associate who asked a few questions about Yodie then took the pup to the Vet's examining room. One hour and $419.00 later, Prince Dog and parents were on our way home. That's not expensive when considering all shots, blood work and meds addressing joints/heart/fleas & ticks.

Okay, back to our son. He is retiring from teaching this year. He plans to substitute periodically and continue to coach basketball. That's good news for kids and his wife. Perhaps the thought of retirement has him more in touch with old age because he is now asking me questions regarding aging. For example he recently asked, "Hey, have you noticed the older your get sometimes it's hard to sleep?" This boy has always asked goofy difficult to answer questions. At age eight, our family of five was traveling to the Lake of The Ozarks for a summer vacation when from the back seat the lad asked, "Hey can somebody tell me where Turtles go in the  winter time?" I also remember when the boy experienced his first flu bout as a youngster. A belly ache and regurgitation seemed to be an inconvenience for the kid and he asked his mother, "How long is this going to last?" His mother told him, "You've probably got a 24-hour flu bug" Would you believe the boy woke us at 1:30AM in the morning and said, "Mom, Mom it's been 25-hours, what's your next idea? I truly believe he knows the answer to 80% of the questions he asks me. I think it's a test of me to determine if I'm slipping in my old age. Next time our son telephones I'm going to ask him, "If you could live to be 100 by giving up all the things that make you want to live to100 would you do it?" That should keep him awake a few nights.

Come to think about it, I go to Miramar Beach, Florida in the winter time and I see signs warning Beach goers to watch out for Sea Turtles, perhaps all turtles go to Florida in the winter. I gotta stop  now and Google where to locate a face mask for Yodie. Don't laugh, I just heard two cats in New York have tested positive for the coronavirus.

If you're in Decatur in the near future, don't stop by for a visit and don't take it personally, I'm just looking out for you and Yodie.




No comments:

Post a Comment