Friday, April 17, 2020

Could Be Good / Could Be Bad...I Heyda Say!

I have been searching and searching for some good news to share with my fellow locked-up Americans who are mentally and emotionally struggling with the trapped claustrophobic feeling resulting from this perpetual 'time-out.' I came across an article in the AARP BULLETIN newsletter, which at first seemed to be good news but as I pondered the possibilities, I began to think it could be more bad news. I'll leave it to your ciphering.

Consider that last year a record number of pedestrians died after 20-years of declining deaths of foot-travelers. My first thought reading that 6,590 pedestrians did not return home from their 2018, 'walk' was that number will plummet in 2020 due to the length of time Americans were under orders to 'stay -at-home' to flatten the coronavirus infectious rate. Ah, but then I considered that once the relaxing of quarantine edicts happens, we will have a greater number of giddy-old farts hitting the sidewalks and these people are 're-programmed. They have been accustomed to beginning 'Happy Hour' earlier in their day and are likely consuming more of their favorite fermented beverage. We will soon have more wobbly seniors stumbling along compromised pavements looking down at a smartphone that befuddles them. Add to this precarious situation a new societal attitude about senior expendability emerging from a philosophy that concludes economic growth 'trumps' senior survival...well you can see this picture ain't pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment