Wednesday, April 8, 2020

His Laziness Cost Lives

Back in the 1980's, I was coaching basketball at Jacksonville high school and hosting a half-hour Saturday morning radio show on WLDS Jacksonville called 'Sports Spotlight.' I once met the late NCAA Championship Marquette University coach and then NCAA television basketball analyst, Al McGuire to record an interview for my radio show. During that recorded interview, McGurie made the following suggestion  to aspiring coaches and others in leadership roles when he said, "If you're going to worry then don't prepare; if you're going to prepare then don't worry." Good advice but I often did both.

I had a simple coaching philosophy when it came to preparation. Do everything I could to have my team physically conditioned, have at least three defenses ready because you never know what the other team cannot attack, be honest with players regarding team strengths and weaknesses so they understood why we approached offense and defense in specific ways and finally, get at least two scouting reports on every opponent. I truly believed I was responsible for anticipating every scenario a contest could present to my players.

With this as part of my leadership modus operandi you can imagine why I am furious with the President of the United States, a leader with perhaps the most important responbilities in our nation to ignore daily presidential briefings and communications and then learn that he (Trump) ignored such information, which came across his desk back in November regarding the possibility of this coronavirus becoming a pandemic.

Please feel free to attack me for this blog post but please, I repeat please don't attempt to defend   Donald Trump on this one because it will make you look unintelligent!

Oh, the last thing McGurie said on that interview years ago?..."Mel, always remember the 6- P's,
Piss Poor Planning Produces Pitiful Performance."

No comments:

Post a Comment