Thursday, October 4, 2012

A Tale of Two Women

My wife and I arrived in Glen Carbon yesterday at 4:10 P.M. and went directly to my ninety-three year old Mother's residence at the Meridian Village 'assisted-living' area. We opened the apartment door to find mother in her recliner chair, which is also her night-time sleeping spot choice. She was slumped forward with false teeth removed, her wig placed on the 'walker' before her and her slacks pulled down to thigh level; she was wiping tears away as she looked up at us. 

She whimpered softly and said, "Oh kids, I am so confused. I was getting undressed thinking it is bedtime and the caretaker just came in to tell me she would pick me up for dinner in an hour." Gerry became very attentive to her mother-in law of 52-years as she helped her with her slacks and arrangement of her hair piece. I watched for a moment in downcast somber. A myriad of snaps shots flashed through my brain of a beautiful young vibrant women from my youth; a stylish, shapely and engaging woman, I called Mom. As I returned to this moment's reality, I consoled my Mother and shed praise upon her for being so mentally tough and resilient. I asked her if she remembered that 'today' October 3rd, was Dad's birthday. She smiled and said, "Oh, I wished him happy birthday the first thing this morning; you know it's been eighteen years that he has been gone."

Gerry and I visited for 45-minutes and departed to meet SIUE grandson Kyle for a quick sandwich before heading on to Granite City, our intended destination; granddaughter, Loren's 'Homecoming Coronation.'  Approximately four-hours after seeing my mother so confused and disarranged, I watched as this beautiful and vibrant eighteen-year old young woman walked so gracefully onto to a stage, dressed elegantly in brilliant formal attire colors. I allowed two feelings to intermingle within my brain; the prideful happiness for this stunning young lady embarking upon her bright future and my thoughts of a small apartment were an old woman is perhaps checking-off memory-moments of a sweetheart while wondering if it is time to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment