Friday, October 26, 2012

Offer To Sell and They Will Come

My wife and I monitored a 'Garage Sale' at our home the last two days and will now take a one day break before closing the garage door this Saturday at noon. It was interesting to note that our sale was held at unconventional time slots given the traditional routine garage sales' time. Our advertised sale times are noon to 6P.M. for two week days and the more normal Saturday time of 8A.M. till noon.

Each morning I glanced out at about 10:30A.M. and both mornings, I noticed slowing moving autos passing by our home with intense looking faces peering out side vehicle windows as the  if  occupants were advance scouts, organized shopper spies or simply the more experienced garage sale-shopper who wishes to be first! The garage sale brings to your driveway a cross-section of Americana; a few nattily attired couples and creep or two. There are the women looking to buy clothing for children, others ask if you'll have costume jewelry, the antique hunter, the fella interested in machinery, tools and/or gadgets. One gentleman brought an item to me, held it up in front of my face and asked, "What the hell is this? I don't have one at home but I ain't sure I need one." I told him that I wasn't sure what it is but I have three and I was ready to part with one. He didn't buy; I suppose my pitch didn't help.

My wife pointed out to me that some garage sale shopping ladies switch those little pricing-stickers to get the item cheaper. I suggested to her that she should call them out when she is positive they did that and simply say, "Lady, I have a feeling you really want this so take it; it's free!" One elderly couple kept eyeing my backyard swing, which had a $10.00 price tag. Finally, I asked them if they wanted that swing and the gentleman who was caring an oxygen tank said, "Well, my wife ain't never had a swing." I said, you can have it for $5.00." He said, well, that's right nice to drop the price but I couldn't begin to put it together once I got it home." Tomorrow afternoon when I get back from taking my wife to the orthopedic doctor's office, I'll use my neighbor's truck and take the swing (in tack) to Mr. Kirby's backyard.

Sure enjoyed my granddaughter, Erica's Jacksonville high school volleyball team's Regional Championship win over Quincy Notre Dame...the victory puts off at least another week before Erica can have her broken hand fixed; for the time being she'll just have to suck-it-up and keep on playing. She's a tough little girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment