Wednesday, October 31, 2012

When We Were Young

My fifty-one-year old son recently sent me a YouTube email of Jackson Browne singing his rendition of 'Doctor My Eyes.' I quote my son's accompanying sentiments, "I wish I could go back to those times." Normally, most people hold similar nostalgic thoughts of returning to those yesteryear's and the reason seems apparent.

Between the ages 12 and 20, we are evolving as identifiable individuals as we grapple with much of our family indoctrinations, formal education mandates and social impressions and pressures. Although, we do not necessarily 'arrive' at any finished stage or completeness, nonetheless those aforementioned eight or nine years impact profoundly and the music of our lives coupled with the fashions and fades become sentimental staples of 'the way we were!'  Those were our times of unlimited tomorrows with similar time-frame possibilities. Therefore, yesterday's sights and sounds will remind us always of fun, hope and promise.

I have no idea what I pay for my automobile's Sirius Radio yearly-package but I can assure you that as long as I have car keys, I plan to listen to '50's on 5' and allow the voices of Jackie Wilson, Sam Cooke, La Verne Baker, Patti Page and others to take me back to a simpler place in time and reminisce as I walk down that memory lane. I feel no need or desire to actually 'go back' to those days because I must keep my eye on the now-mission, which is exciting and challenging in the present time. However, I shall continue to bring along yesterday's memories in my daily journey.

Please understand that my yesterday's shaped my life and changed my world forever. I push forward and embrace today because I am grateful and humbled by that, which was given to me yesterday; no one deserves to be so blessed or lucky.

'...when other nights and other days may find us gone our separate ways, we will have these moments to remember.' (Four Lads-1955)

No comments:

Post a Comment