Friday, October 19, 2012

Intentional Leadership will Trump A-ginners!

I remember one tightfisted ultra-conservative Grace Methodist Church board member in the 1950's Washington Park (East St. Louis). He was the 'finance committee' chairman for years who had a rather dubious reputation. Old man Winterhatch was known as 'Mister Ima-ginner.' As the story goes he spoke out just before most votes to spend a dime saying, "You all can do whatcha-wanna-do but I'ma-ginner!" One time, Mr. 'W' responded to a proposal to purchase a new chandelier for the church foyer saying, "I'ma-ginner, we don't need no chandelier in our church, what we need is a new light fixture in that dadgum dark hallway." I'm not sure which type person is the most unpleasant to attempt interaction with on committees or for that matter any situations requiring a consensus; the I'ma-ginner guy or the fella who refuses to weigh-in but instead waits for the outcomes and second-guesses.

I do a bit of consultant work for the Decatur Public School District #61. My main charge is coordinating there very prestigious Thanksgiving boys' basketball tournament, which is in its 43rd year and viewed by State basketball folks as one our Illinois' finest. I also do 'other' requested coach- parent and athlete clinics and seminars and on-going coaching education programs. I enjoy the opportunity and hope to continue to assist where I might. Of course, most people are very cooperative while a few continue to be resentful of anyone making suggestions, as though they never need input for consideration, adoption or even rejection; they are just 'Ima-ginners!' Some others have there assigned or perceived authority threatened if someone 'outside' dares to offer direction or change. They are a gigantic pain-in-the-ass.

I hope each of you reading this blog have the opportunity in your quasi retirement years to experience partial employment, which makes you feel relevant in those latter years, however with the solace in attitude that you don't care if someone 'fires' you.

No comments:

Post a Comment