Wednesday, October 17, 2012

' Better Late Than Never!'

It took forty-eight years but I finally paid it forward; well somewhat, let me explain. The year was 1964, I was in my first year as the varsity baseball/basketball coach at Mason City high school, Mason City, Illinois. Gerry and I had one child, Steve who was three years old. I was living in a great basketball community and a central Illinois location that was split down the middle between Cubs and Cardinals baseball fans. I was in hog-heaven that fall with my Cardinals primed to play the New York Yankees in the World Series.

Out of the clear blue, my Father telephoned to tell me that he had tickets for the Seventh and deciding game in St. Louis and to 'come on down.' Naturally, I made the necessary 'personal day' arrangement and headed south for my first ever World Series experience. It was a day I shall never forget...the Cardinals rode the arm of future Hall-of-Fame pitcher, Bob Gibson and defeated the Yankees 7-4 to claim the Championship of baseball. The crowd and city was delirious with jubilant celebrations. It was special to share that day with family.

In a few hours, I will depart for St. Louis for the third game of this 2012, National League Division Playoffs between the 'Redbirds' and the San Francisco 'Giants.' Although, it is not the World Series it does promise to be an exciting baseball day along the west banks of the Mississippi River. I will somewhat 'pay forward' that special day afforded by my Dad those many years ago. I bought the $100 each tickets and will sit in the stadium with son, Steve and son-in law, Tim and cheer our team. The only difference aside from ticket costs and players salaries is the fact that in 1964, my Dad could only get three tickets so he stayed home and sent me and my two brothers to that final World Series game of 1964. He always was a more benevolent man than I. Go Cards!!

No comments:

Post a Comment