Thursday, January 31, 2013

Back to 1949

When it comes to public safety, especially safety procedures for school children, we are a most 'amusing' lot of people! I cannot help but think of the diametric found in 'show & go.'

Return with me now to those troubling days of yesteryear when those dad-gum Russians test-exploded  their first atomic bomb in 1949. Soon after, my fourth grade class at Woodrow Wilson  Grade School had routine 'duck & cover' drills when that local fire horn sounded. That's right the drill was duck under your desk and cover your head so that bomb won't mess-up recess plans! Previously, we only had two drills: (1) the fire drill when we formed that orderly single line and hauled fanny to the opposite side of the street from the school building and (2) the tornado drill when we went to that predetermined hallway spot away from windows.

My fourth grade teaching granddaughter telephoned me last evening to explain a 'new' school drill that administrators are attempting to get their bogus checklist-mentality around. Americans back a few decades ago decided to save tax monies buying into the problematic-notion that many institutionalized mental patients could function just fine 'taking' pills and living in halfway houses. When pills are not regularly taken and guns become so available it was easy for the mentally deranged to become killing machines. Now, let me get my head around this; we are going to have a 'schoolhouse drill' that is going to cover every possible and imaginable school shooting scenario?? Right! You crap your friends and I'll crap mine but let's NOT crap one another!

My granddaughter told me that the 'What to do when a gunman visits school' teachers' meeting lasted one hour. There were so many unanswered questions posed by teachers to the local law officer and school administrators that the parting recommendation from leadership was: " Use your best judgment." I will guarantee you that more meetings on the matter will follow. If school people do any thing well it is schedule meetings.

Okay, I shall leave you with this to ponder. Every time Iran rattles their sabers with suggestions of securing 'that' dreaded mass destruction nuclear bomb, our Republican 'Hawks' pontificate about placing all options on the table and strongly urging military intervention. However, those same counterfeit clowns refuse to place all options on the table to protect our school children, Christmas mall shoppers, movies goers and worshipers at the Temple from the crazies in our neighborhoods.. The Republicans want to kick Iran's ass while kissing the NRA's ass. Go figure!

What I cannot understand is why Iran and North Korea don't employ lobbyist; don't they realize that American politicians are For Sale?

I'm going to stop now and make some Shrimp/Okra Gumbo; never made this dish before but I'm gonna give it a whirl! I need to go to the grocery store for okra. I will put on my military flak-jacket and hope for the best. I must get all my foods ready for the big game; no not the Super Bowl, the Senate hearings confirmation for nominated Secretary of Defense, Chuck Hagel; talk about some silly end zone dancing.

No comments:

Post a Comment