Monday, October 28, 2013

Everybody Joins The Club

There are some real monetary advantages to longevity. Shucks, the senior citizen discounts are enough to cause a fella get up before dawn and head to McDonald's for that 'senior coffee' priced @ a mere .65 cents; all subsequent cups are free for the liking. Hell, I walk out of  Big Mac Land on the ultimate caffeine high!

My haircut use to cost $14.00 a few years back; today with the 'senior discount' the cut is down to $12.00. When it was $14.00, I gave the beautician a $1.00 tip bringing my cost to $15 bucks. At this 12 dollar senior rate, I tip her two bucks bringing my 'golden-year' hair-trim to $14.00; I am saving a dollar from those long ago cuts while the beautician is making an extra dollar dealing with 'less' hair; it's a win-win situation!

Many restaurants offer those 'senior discount' sections on their menus. I recall those 14-years that my father operated a Steak House in Collinsville, Illinois. Seniors came out of the woods to take advantage of any price break. Many of those 'old-timers' were obnoxiously  bold and sometimes a giant 'pain-in-the-ass.' The attitude of these time-worn 'blue-haired gals' and pot-bellied old-boys brought to the table was over-the-top. They often argued to substitute items of greater expense in place of the advertised discount and then bitch about the portions while leaving behind a thirty-five cent tip on a $4.95 soup/salad/sandwich combo... after asking for extra rolls and a doggie-bag. Of course, the waitresses were instructed never to challenge the 'seniors' when they were noticed stuffing their purses with condiments or cloth napkins.

I must stop here; Monday is 'seniors' day at the Red Carpet Car Wash and if you get there before nine o'clock, they have free coffee and donuts...last week I brought one of those French donuts home for my wife...I know what you're thinking; hey, I'm one of THEM!



No comments:

Post a Comment