Tuesday, October 15, 2013

I Knew All My Beer-Drinking Neighbors

Here are some random, if not discombobulated thoughts about my love affair with baseball. I began in earnest playing the game at 8- years old. One summer day, my cousin, Bob Croak, three years my senior, rode his bike into my driveway and with a sense of voice-urgency said, "Moe we're one player short; you gotta play right field for the 'Rangers' today." Although, I actually lived in Washington Park, I suppose the 11 & 12 year old 'Flyers' team would not care if a skinny little kid from the 'Park' was stuck in the 'Rangers' outfield. I followed cousin Bob to 'Bookies Field' up the hill to the 'high rent' district which bordered Rosemont and the Park.

East St. Louis sandlot baseball was an adolescent and teenage religion during my youth. Every empty lot had a ball diamond and every summer day you could find a game; ain't so in 2013. Kids don't play those types of 'pick-up' games. It is unfortunate because I sincerely believe that not only are skills better mastered in the sandlots but for certain, young kids 'managing' their own play did much to develop leadership skills. That 1947 summer was a break through for a baseball career that I embraced through high school and college. I held my own with the 'bigger' boys, a great confidence builder. As the saying goes, 'If I had a dime for every time,'... I toed the pitcher's mound, I'd have a fortune.'

I can still close my eyes and feel the baseball rolling off my finger tips attempting to break the 12-to-6 curve ball that we kids called a 'drop,' however that was many sunsets ago. These days, I travel the college and high school baseball circuit watching our Eastern Illinois University junior grandson roam center field and lead off for the 'Panthers' and two high school baseball hurlers; a lefty in Barrington and a right-hander in Granite City...I'll drive a bit this coming spring and summer. I will do my best to observe and then filter my thoughts before making comments...I know more baseball than my adult children but I don't know parenting as well; I must be careful not to bruise any one's fragile psyche.

Recent years, I observed many coaches giving all kinds of pitching and hitting tips and naturally, I reflect...how did I develop certain skills. I conclude that pitching strengths/skills were honed by a lot of long-tossing (playing catch) and actual simulating pitching a nine inning game with a friend catching in a squatting position calling the balls & strikes. When it comes to hitting skills, I have absolutely no doubt how I developed into a good hitter. Many East St. Louis kids were good hitters because we played 'bottle-cap' baseball in the alley almost every night. Okay, imagine going to all neighbors and every tavern in your area (1948) and collecting beer and soda bottle caps. We would then get an old broom and cut away the 'sweep end' and use the long handle for a bat. The pitcher of 'bottle caps' can release that small cap causing it to dip / elevate or curve sharply away or towards the batter. In order to hit that 'dancing cap' with any consistency, the batter must wait until the last second and swing short and quick at the cap.  Should you ask anybody who knows anything about hitting a baseball they will tell you that a batter must not have a 'long' looping swing but he should be short-to-the ball.

I think that there is perhaps only one eye-hand-quickness (sport) skill that is more difficult than hitting a 'round- baseball' with a 'round-bat;' that might be a hockey goalie catching a high-speed sailing puck while trying to see it through darting-skating bodies. Of course, I don't go to hockey or soccer games and will not until they start playing those two sports in the 'dark' to keep the scoring down!

I cannot recall the last time I drove or walked by a community park and observed a fully engaged (18-players) sandlot baseball game; come to think, I cannot remember the last time I saw a 'Falstaff' beer bottle cap.

No comments:

Post a Comment