Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Lucky to be One of His Boys

An Edwardsville high school graduate from the 1970's, emailed me recently on a myriad of subjects and mentioned that the last time he 'saw' me was at Louis 'Pick' Dehner's funeral visitation; that was many years past. 'Pick' Dehner was born and grew up in Lincoln, Illinois and later attended the University of Illinois where he was named a basketball All-American in 1939. Dehner, upon graduating from Illinois accepted the basketball and baseball coaching positions at East St. Louis high school where he would remain for a 32-year career; he was my coach in both basketball and baseball from 1954-through-1957. I had a special relationship with Coach Dehner and we shared a love for the game and respect for one another.

I would not deny that Coach Dehner was a tough coach for whom to play or perhaps better stated, he made it difficult to perform under his sarcastic and critical nature. I began grade school in Washington Park (E. St . L) at mid-year, which naturally plays out as a mid-year high school graduate. At some point during my junior high and summer baseball playing, Coach Dehner made the assessment that I would better 'serve' his two programs (baseball and basketball) if I would drop out of school for a semester and return thus positioning me to have two full back-to-back seasons and graduating in June.

After pitching for his spring 1954, varsity 'Flyers,' I continued school the fall of '54 and then I dropped out the second semester as I became sixteen years old. I then returned to East Side High the following fall with my junior and senior years ahead. The decision worked out to Dehner's benefit and certainly to my advantage. Dehner won a couple of SWC baseball titles and a Regional basketball tournament. I would have likely never attended college had I not been recruited with the offer of a free education by the baseball and basketball coaches at Illinois State. Two back-to-back years playing baseball and basketball for Dehner was 'the key.'Therein lies the 'special' relationship forged by Coach Dehner and his prote'ge.' He later attempted to discourage me from entering the 'coaching profession.' When he realized that I was going to become a coach, he took me aside and gave me this advise: "If one of player, any given season, loves the game as you, consider yourself lucky." He then added:  "You better develop tough skin quickly."

When playing basketball at East Side for 'Pick,' I recall once pouting about something he had said. He jerked me off the floor and told me to come to him to reenter the game once I finished acting like a baby. I was determined to stay seated on the bench when assistant coach Lou Wapple came to me and said, "Moe, how long have you known Dehner?" I said, "Since I was in the sixth grade." Coach Wapple then asked, "Have you ever seen him lose one of these bull-headed standoffs?" I got up went to Coach Dehner and said, "I'm ready to play, Coach." He looked into my eyes and said, "Don't ever act like that again!"...he then told me to take it for another player.

Back then I got that 'eye look' from another man; my father. I once complained about my high school basketball team and my dad put his fork down at our supper table and said, "Boy, you look at me! Don't bring your sport problems to our family supper table; I never bring my work problems to our table. If you don't like something on your team then do something to change it!"

Many years later, Pick and I squared off as SWC coaching adversaries. One night, Greg Ahart hit a jump shot at the horn to beat Dehner's 'Flyers' at East Side.  When our 'Tigers' were leaving East St. Louis' gym to return to Edwardsville, Dehner yelled at me,
"Roustio, you always were lucky!"

I emailed-replied my Edwardsville friend to tell him that I was at Coach Dehner's funeral...I was one of the pallbearers along with Billy Altenberger, Joe Lucco, Virgil Fletcher and Tony Pawlow; indeed, an honor

Coach Dehner was correct; I was always lucky...every time one door closed another door opened with incredible opportunities.

Tomorrow...My connection with the top two all-time IHSA prep basketball scorers.

No comments:

Post a Comment