Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Keep The Line Moving

I read findings from a recent study about 'procrastination.' I should mention that the 'study' had a five-year funding grant but it  took 'ten' years to complete; that in itself speaks volumes about the study's credibility!!

It appears that in the past thirty years procrastination percentages among Americans has risen from 5% to 26%. I would believe that these findings explain many of the daily frustrations we all face. I now understand why I wait longer in lines, wait longer for restaurant meals and read more than three magazines while waiting for my doctor's appointment. I conclude that 'service' folks and workers, in general, are not in a hurry. I can simply wait; you can wait. This procrastination statistic also suggests that about 25% of my friends and family members are slow-moving and /or lazy and most likely unreliable.

As is the case with many current social problems the solution can be found in the examination of my parents' generational attitudes. Yep, take a peek back at yesteryear. My father suffered from POWW. You all thought that acronyms were something new; my parents had them. POWW was a common disorder of my folks' generation. It means Pissed Off  When Waiting. Here is a hard fact, I cannot recall my father ever asking me to 'do something;' he told me! And God bless him, he had a charming delivery style: "Hey boy, take out the trash and shake a leg." Translation: He wanted the current trash out of the house, not trash we may generate later. As I look back on my mother and father's parenting ways, I forgive them of their silly-ass ideas mainly because they never had an opportunity to read one damn book about a child's feelings and fragile psyche. They had this crazy notion that their children should please them instead of them pleasing me and my two brothers; I told you...silly ass!

Due to my folks' parenting, I grew up with strange quirks regarding time and responsibility. I show up at meetings far too early. If uncertain about direction/location of meeting venue, I scout the route in advance.

Procrastinate? Me? Never! I kid you not, I wrote this blog, which is posted Tuesday October 8, 2013 on Saturday October 5. I will be traveling on October 8. Never put off until tomorrow that which you could have done six-months ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment