Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Simplist of Acts is to Do The Right Thing

I learn where a student-athlete (volleyball player) from North Andover high school (Massachusetts) was demoted from team captain and suspended five (5) contests for answering a telephone plea from a drunken high school friend. It would seem that the friend became inebriated at a party and telephoned the volleyball gal to come give her a drive home. It appears that North Andover high  school has a zero tolerance policy and just because the student-athlete went to the underage drinking party-site to be a designated driver, she violated school athletic code. It makes no difference that the police cleared the driver of any law-breaking wrongful act. She WAS guilty of the safety concern for her friend.

This event reminds me of a conversation I overheard a few years ago while drinking a cup of morning coffee and reading the newspaper at a nearby restaurant. Three gents were seated nearby and I could not help but hear their conversation about public schools...more specifically, 'what is wrong with public schools!' From the tone and substance of the comments, I concluded that two fellas were retired school teachers and the third man was a minister; his tattered-worn Bible and various comments were good clues. All three chaps agreed on the main 'problems' with public schools; lack of discipline and bad teachers. I do believe children suffer from those exposures but it is entrenched by incompetent parenting...bank it!

When the men began offering solutions, I suddenly remembered why I am NOT a morning coffee attendee with the 'boys.' These guys were adamant about ZERO TOLERANCE for children who misbehave. "Kick them out of school," suggested one. "Kick them out of all extra-curricular activities and don't let them return," another said. I wanted to roll up my newspaper and smack the preacher up aside his pompous holier-than-thou brain! I damn near turned around to tell him to re-read that passage about Mary Magdalene...Christ succinctly spoke to those who judge and all who stand in need of forgiveness.  I am sure that all three guys were 'believers,' however they were the type Christians that believe what 'fits' their biases...they sit in the front row pews in Church and nod at the preacher; I can see them from my back-row pew seat. I want so badly to tell them, "If Christ had a zero tolerance for heaven-entry, we ALL be in a heap of trouble.

Now, back to the North Andover school board and administration;  they have barnyard dung for brains. Unfortunately, many such school governing bodies around the nation are the same. God save the children and God bless the young female volleyball player who saw herself as her 'sister's keeper.'

No comments:

Post a Comment