Monday, February 3, 2014

I Disagree Mr. President

I voted for Obama in 2008 and again in 2012; I would do that over again however, he is wrong on one point he made in the last State of the Union message. I will comment on that after this: I make no apologies for my 'liberal political' views. I would not suggest that I am so well read that I grasp issues and could defend all liberal viewpoints at every turn. Simply, I am drawn to the liberal political view more often because it appears to be compatible with the teachings of Jesus Christ. That said, I am not suggesting that Jesus signs off on the Democratic platform! I leave that claim to the 'other' crowd.


Okay, back to President Obama's statement last week. He suggested that women AND men are not getting a fair-shake in 'paid' time off for maternity issues. I believe that a woman giving birth should have a reasonable maternity leave period of paid time off but reasonable would seem to be approximately six-weeks. I believe a father should have a couple of days off (around the birth).


It is absolutely ridiculous to embrace the notion that employers owe couples excessive time off for child birth/care. This poppycock pushes the envelope of entitlement. Look, constitutionally, I agree that women have the 'Choice' when it comes to abortion issues. Whereas I defend that constitutional right, I do not believe it is morally right, however that decision is a woman's choice and her moral issue to resolve. With this logic, I defend the employers' positions regarding maternity-leave abuse BECAUSE it was a couples' CHOICE to get pregnant. Don't counter with that nonsense story of 'unplanned pregnancy.' When two people engaged in sex...the CHOICE is made! Own the pleasures, own the blessing and own the responsibilities; don't ask employers to own it !
Many military men are standing their guard in foreign countries when wives 'back home' are having babies. Let me approach this self-centered thinking from another perspective. I recall every once in a while when a basketball player's parent would telephone me and ask if their son could be excused from a week of practice to go on a Christmas vacation trip. I said, "NO!" I explained, "I chose your son to be on the team while 'cutting' another boy. Your son made a commitment to THE TEAM and I expect him to honor that commitment. How would I defend the excuse to the boy who failed to make our team?" I would like to state that once I explained my decision the parents understood; however self-centered folks never do.

No comments:

Post a Comment