Monday, February 24, 2014

Wanna Play Catch?

"Let's have a catch, Dad." That was the underpinning phrase from the movie classic, "Field of Dreams." A grown man builds a baseball field in the middle of Iowa corn fields. Legendary baseball greats 'use' the field to play their beloved baseball game. Ultimately, the field's owner sees his deceased father on the field and joins him for a 'catch with Dad.' The movie with its moving father-son  relationship theme was embraced by movie-goers, especially men of all ages who had those days-gone-by-memories of playing catch with their father.


My own recall of 'catch' with my Dad also marks the moment in time that my career path was put in place. My father insisted on 'using' (the game) my sport participation as a vehicle to instill a myriad of 'living guideline-lessons.' I missed a thrown ball and the message: 'You'll some times miss the ball but it's your responsibility to go for it.' I garnered news clip attention for a pitching achievement and my Dad acknowledges it but quickly dismisses the words of praise asking when is the next game played; he completes the lesson saying, "People have a way of expecting more when you once deliver."


Throughout the my high school and college athletic journey, my Dad showed great support but did not dote over the my every effort. My father waas always careful to keep praise at a minimum while pointing to areas where improvement could be made or pointing to the efforts and contribution of teammates; all his actions and comments were designed to promote and instill a balanced focused life for his son.


Today, in the stillness of my personal midnights, I often allow my thoughts to fly across the many years and I recall a vast history of wonderful memories; none more sacred than those baseball 'catch' times and the comments of praise and challenge. Thanks Dad...Thanks for 'the catch.'



No comments:

Post a Comment