Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Many Happy Returns---Already !


My 4th grade teaching granddaughter telephone yesterday to wish me happy birthday. She shared with me that her class of 10-year old students are 'working' on arithmetic-fractions. When she mentioned to them that she was going to phone me on my 75th birthday, one youngster concluded aloud that his teacher's grandfather was "three-quarters finished with his WHOLE life." I'll run with that!


Let me assure all who read or don't read this blog that the journey thus far has been filled with the riches of God's blessings and gifts; I wish one day to ask my Maker a simple question; Why were you so good to ME?


I spent my birthday evening celebrating with long-time friends. Dick and Fran Pawlow grew up in East St. Louis sharing the same teen years' journey with my wife and I. Dick and I played American Legion baseball together and held to a life long coaching passion; he in the college baseball ranks and I on the high school basketball courts. His wife , Fran and my wife Gerry attended grade school and high school together; it was wonderful watching them laugh together once again. Also spending the day with us was Ken and Sharon Hickman. Ken was my assistant coach for over twenty-five years at Edwardsville and Jacksonville high schools...friendships like the Hickman's doesn't come any better.


Throughout the celebratory evening, I received telephone birthday wishes from my three children, their spouses, nine of my fifteen grandkids and one of my two brothers. I received three email greetings and several birthday cards from friends, former colleagues and two from Edwardsville students (1970-77.) Note: I did not say 'players....' I said students.


It was a wonderful celebration day. I did awake at three o'clock this morning unable to sleep. I am troubled by the knowledge that so many others are not as fortunate...not as blessed as I; even troubled more by those who are blessed but fail to embrace  the full goodness. Quality trumps quantity ever time; I am fortunate to have both.

No comments:

Post a Comment