Wednesday, February 12, 2014

'Suck-It-Up'

In the early 1970's, the late comedian, Flip Wilson's female character, Geraldine Jones often told us that 'The Devil made me do it !" Anytime Geraldine deviated from the norm or broke any conventional rules or indulged in frivolous buying, she was not to blame...that powerful Devil made her do it.
Oh, we all laughed at Geraldine but make no mistake Geraldine's 'logic' and 'excuse-me-it-ain't-my-fault-reasoning' is prevalent across this nation. The diverted blame and shifting of responsibility / accountability may not always be placed on the Devil but that evil spirit, which manifests in people near us; it is their fault; somebody else is to blame! 


The many years that I coached basketball, I was quick to chastise players who pointed the blame finger at a teammate who erred near the end of a closely contested game, which we lost. I also corrected the media when they wished to focus on the miscue. In both instances, I would raise the question about 'missed' opportunities or mistakes made in the three previous quarters


There were several early television years that found 'talk show hosts' parading one celebrity's child after another who would eagerly tell of their personal issues and problems as they laid the cause and blame on their parents.  I thought that format was disgustingly a 'cheap-shot.'


I have always believed that the quickest way to successful outcomes was through  the group's commitment to 'ownership;' conversely when the project fails...all assume responsibility. If you cannot accept this approach, I don't want you near my program and I will not be calling you to go to lunch!



No comments:

Post a Comment