Monday, June 2, 2014

A Bonus Bond

I will state openly that which most parents think privately; 'I hope when I am gone from this world, my children have caring love-ones in their lives.' I recall when we had our first child, a good friend once commented, "Don't raise your first child alone...should some thing happen to you and your wife it would be so important for a child not to be left without a sibling." Certainly a profound thought .Since my wife and I were blessed with three children, we are most pleased to note that those married adult children have strong-loving ties with each other. Each of the three satellite families have two or more children thus no grandchild (young or old) is 'alone.'


Several years ago, my wife and I held five consecutive week-long summer gatherings of grandkids. We called these experiences, 'Naboo Camp; a combination of our grand parenting names, Nana and Boompa. Those cousin get-together days were fun for everyone and had some lasting relationship impact.


This past school year, Loren (Roustio) and Erica (Howell) were Illinois State University freshmen dorm floor-mates and will live together next year in the same sorority house. I dare conclude that these two young ladies have a sealed life-long sister-cousin bond; they shall never walk alone. A truly comforting reality.



No comments:

Post a Comment