Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Family Economics is the X-Factor

I notice the two standard morning television shows are focusing all week on Dad's and their changing role as we approach Father's Day. I don't doubt for a minute that Dad's parenting role has change, certainly during my lifetime. I can only speak to 'my' experiences and family observations as it pertains to a Father's role in parenting.


My Dad played a lot of sandlot baseball catch and basketball shooting competition with his sons.  He did not attend all our  little league baseball games and later during my high school sports-play he seldom missed a basketball game but did not attend baseball games. Let me cut straight to the chase; my Dad was busy 'making-a-living' for our family: he did not follow me around as a little league coach nor did he and mother 'helicopter' over my organized-youth play. My parents 'had-a-life' of their own...I was not the center of their universe. My dad's attitude was you boys go do your thing and don't embarrass yourself or family...His three sons did okay and turned out reasonably well-balanced and productive adults.



I observe my son and son-in-law's doing much more with our grandchildren. I am happy for them. I am proud of them. The jury is out on the end products.


The determining factor allowing or disallowing Dad's contact with kids is traced to 'income.' I was the sole income provider for our family unit as we opted to have 'mother' stay-at-home. Aside from my teaching day-job, I was gone with those late evening coaching charges and during the summers, I work industrial jobs and umpire college and high school baseball games to 'hustle that extra dollar.
I would not change a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment