Thursday, June 26, 2014

Helping Others Always Risky

I remember when back problems, gout, arthritis, cataracts and incontinence were things absolutely foreign to my thoughts. Today, I count back issues, hip pain, joint arthritis (knees, hands, lower back and cataract surgery of left eye); given time, I am sure I will 'run-the-table.'
My warning signal to the younger readers is not to dwell on that which lurks around the corner but elevate awareness of your opportunities to help others already under 'body-pain-siege. I jumped in to give aid to two people recently. I was at Walmart about four days ago and an elderly lady who was shopping from one of those motorized carts needed assistance to get three different food-items from top shelves; I obliged her request and even offered to go into other aisle if she need me.


Just yesterday, I was pumping gas at a nearby convenient store when a gentleman about my age pulled alongside. He motioned to me and explained that he recently had knee replacement and asked if I'd be good enough to pump $30.00 bucks of gasoline for him. I was delighted to assist the fella. Immediately after replacing his gas cap, I walked toward the driver to get his money and pay the inside attendant. The would be recovering knee-surgery gent 'put the peddle to the metal and sped off ! A voice bellowed from the outside speakers, "Drive off, Drive off and there may be an accomplice...holy crap, that would be ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment