Monday, June 16, 2014

It's All Good

A family member recently asked me, "Would you do anything differently if you could live your life over?" My answer, "Absolutely, however you could count those do over things on one hand and not use all fingers."


I grew up in the forties and fifties and was raised by a 'village' of loving people; my parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and even neighbors who cared and protected. Even the music of those days gave anchors to our emotional growth and perspective on God, country and family as well as romanticizing 'love.' I once read an opinion of a psychologist who theorized that few couples growing up in the fifties get a divorce and one reason was the 'pop' music indoctrination. Perhaps he is on to something...just listen to a CD by a group called 'The Platters.'


I played my sports with a degree of success, which provided a free college education. I married my high school sweetheart and I am  blessed with three wonderful children. The children married terrific spouses and those unions have produced fifteen delightful  grandchildren and soon a second great-grandchild. I embraced my work-passion of coaching for thirty-nine years. A couple of coaching books that I penned were purchased by thousands and speaking engagements from around the nation followed. I worked in television and radio for several years and to this day, I serve as a sport education consultant for a couple of school districts. A friend of mine once told me that I was lucky...perhaps...I like to believe I am blessed.


I would wish to 'do over' only those times when I hurt someone. Perhaps those whom I hurt will find it in their heart to forgive. I am aware that my Lord has forgiven me just as he has forgiven each who read these words. So.........if there is a divine plan to 'do life over,' I'm good to go! If there are no do-overs, I'm still good to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment