Thursday, June 5, 2014

Say What?

Recently, Pope Francis commented that a marriage 'needs' children to achieve complete and ultimate happiness. Before I continue may I say the I am not a Roman Catholic but my respect for all religions is one of my greatest personal-belief anchors. Particularly, I have the utmost respect for the Catholic Church for its commitment to the decaying inner-cities. The Catholic Church's staying power to serve the poor is unrivaled. When 'other' faiths see the city blight coming they fold tent and go to the burbs; this is not the case with the Catholic Church. That said, I must question the practical experiences of the Pope and his boldness to suggest 'children' to be the key to marital bliss. That's just plain poppycock. This logic implies that childless couples may just as well go separate ways if they cannot 'have' kids.


I understand that the Pope's reflections are driven by recent statistical numbers, which show a declining birth rate among Catholic couples. It would appear that the modern-day practicing Catholic couples are ignoring one specific Church belief as they are making birth decisions predicated on financial abilities. If the Pope is concerned about this birthing trend within the Catholic faith then he(Pope) should speak to the followers about the use of birth-control practices and products.


I find it most amusing and disingenuous for people of faith to argue against a health care plan, which  offers birth control products  while they use the same preventive method.  It would appear to me those folks are preaching one side of an argument while in reality they embrace and practice the other side.


May I go on record agreeing with Pope Francis on one thing: Our three children, fifteen grandchildren and one great grandchild brings the absolute greatest joy, happiness and blessings. However, the many dogs we have enjoyed over fifty-four married years were ALL lower maintenance than our children and caused less angst. On this latter-opinion, I believe I am more qualified to speak than is the Pope.

No comments:

Post a Comment