Monday, June 23, 2014

A Dying Legacy

I've been thinking about my Dad a lot lately. I suppose the memories are prompted by the upcoming 65th Annual Roustio-Family Reunion. I recall vividly that first 'family-reunion' at Grand Marias State Park back in 1949, I was ten years old. I think on those days and remember what excitement filled the heart; we were going to spend the entire day with aunts, uncles and cousins. We'd eat some terrific food and spend about two hours playing the annual Dad's against kids softball game. There would be laughter, story-telling, bingo games and flowing soda and beer the day long. Frank Roustio (my grandfather) usually umpired the softball game and his beer consumption did little to aid his judgment. Most of the clan arrived at the Park early morning and stayed well after the evening supper hour. I would imagine in our reunion-attendance heyday, we averaged well over 150 people. It was customary that young dating teens brought their dates; never kept track of the number of potential spouses the clan ran-off.


Through the years, the reunion numbers have declined significantly. Perhaps our ever escalating mobility was a significant cause; after all back in the 1940's and '50's most of the Roustio clan lived on 56th street Washington Park, Illinois. Maybe with our mobility and sophisticated social networking along with so many entertainment opportunities has also contributed to the lack of family-reunion interest.


Many staples of my past have dissipated. I seldom notice neighbors visiting of a warm summer evening. Few folks engage in those family backyard games; hell, most of my grankids and their parents seldom sit down together for a meal even once a day...lot going on these days that separates and erodes the family unit.


I was responsible to contact family and encourage attendance for this 65th gathering. I have had great help from my son and daughter in-law and two cousins. I hope we can notice a bit of renewed interest.


All of my father's generation has passed and many from mine are no longer with us. I am the third oldest of the gang. Yep, I've been thinking about my Dad a lot lately...what a blessing he was and what a legacy he and his people left for which, I thank God daily.


The renowned journalist and retired television anchor man, Tom Brokaw wrote a book ( The Greatest Generation) about my parent's generation. Too bad we have allowed our young people to lose touch. Dadgumit, if my grandkids ever put their cell phones down, I'm gonna tell them a thing or two about our Roustio-family legacy.



No comments:

Post a Comment