Saturday, February 9, 2019

# 2- The Coaching Family

ENTIRE COACHING STAFF OWNS IT:

I have never treated any assistant coach on my staff disrespectfully nor have I requested they do anything that I wouldn't do. In fact, every assistant I've ever had, if asked will tell you that I gave them specific opportunities to put their thumb-print on our efforts whether it be scouting preparations, defense responsibilities, elementary league charges and camp involvement.

During practice those coaches understood that day's plan and were invited to participate in the execution. During games, I never failed to give all assistants an opportunity to comment about any notes they kept during the first half. They had a similar opportunity in post-game meetings. Every assistant was given ownership. My assistants all knew my expectations of players, parents and them personally. I would do anything to help any of my assistants to secure a head job he was seeking. If an assistant appeared to want my job, I'd fire him.


This coaching-family affair reached beyond head coach and assistants. I held monthly coaching meetings in our home for both high school and junior high school basketball coaches and their families. We invited junior high coaches to bring their teams to high school practice and encouraged our high school coaches to see junior high games.

Our varsity locker room was equipped with large individual and personalized lockers. The locker room was also carpeted. On away game nights, my wife prepared a pasta supper for varsity players.

HOME GAME EXTRAVAGANZA:

Home games were specifically orchestrated to be a showcase of not only the basketball program but the Pom Pom Squad, Cheerleaders and Jazz Band. At the beginning of the season, we invited the aforementioned  teams' sponsors to meet and cooperate with pre-game and half-time programs. We also invited special outside groups and other school teams, which deserved recognition. This home basketball game was intended to be a big deal in the Jacksonville community.

At season end, the school district purchased State Tournament tickets and distributed to coaches and  players as numbers permitted.

CRIMSONS BASKETBALL FAMILY:

When our team played great distances fro home, I invited the cheerleaders to accompany the team on the charter bus. Post-season awards ceremony was also a dual event with players and cheerleaders. A few years, we orchestrated a post-season Spring Style Show with basketball players from all levels and both varsity and underclass cheer teams modeling spring fashions including Prom formal attire.
This was directed by Mrs. Roustio with the help of coaches wives and parents from all participating groups. The Style Show was attended by 600+ and was a nice money-maker for our programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment