Tuesday, February 5, 2019

An Opportunity Lost

I reflect on my life and have few regrets. One such anguish would be not picking the minds of grandparents and parents about particulars in their journey. Those family members have all passed therefore whatever story could be old is lost forever.

A few years ago, my brother Tom and I were visting and sharing many childhood and young adult memories of our family and our common work relationships from yesteryear. At one point, my brother, four plus years my junior said, "You do know that when one of us pass these stories become somewhat meaningless because only you and I know the players."

I suppose I am like many who become so busy with our own journey that we just didn't take much interest in the history of blood, which traveled the roads before us. Oh, I picked up bits and pieces about paternal and maternal families but I realize so much more could have been shared had I pushed the issue.

My mother's sister, Katherine was dedicated to genealogical tracing of the Bennett family and certainly some of that stirs my interests but it lacks the elements of the human experience that I find most fascinating. Let me give a for instance: Maternal grandfather, E. V. Bennett was a shy and somewhat private man, almost showing tendencies of reclusiveness. As a young boy, I spent much    time with E.V. and Mammy Bennett. I suppose the fact that we lived nearby and for two years while my father was in the military (1944), E.V. and Mammy were 'hands on' helping their daughter with her two sons. I followed that old man around as if he was the 'Pied Piper.' As I grew into my teen years, I could have formulated more questions about the Bennett journey but I was too busy with 'my' things.

When my Bennett and Roustio (Frank & Rosedelle) passed their stories became second hand until all their children passed and now the particulars are lost.

I once asked Grandpa E. V. "Grandpa you're always driving Mammy to Sunday Church, Wednesday prayer meeting and other church events but why don't you go with her to church?" E.V. smiled and answered, "Why I think I've heard every sermon ever preached three or four times." I guess many  viewed E.V. Bennett as a non-religious man and perhaps they were correct. However, I'll always believe that Grandpa E.V. was indeed a Man of Faith.

E. V. Liked his fiddle and I recall him often singing this one song...
(Touch)
Will The Circle Be Unbroken

No comments:

Post a Comment