Sunday, February 17, 2019

What Shall Your Hyphen Reveal?

A few weeks ago, our friend, Marie told my wife and I that she'd heard a good sermon about 'tombstones.' Seems the preacher noted that tombstones told very little of our life's story...date of birth and date of death, while the 'hyphen' between the two dates holds the bigger untold story.

My marker has one date determined: February 18, 1939-  and that's right, I celebrate birthday #80 tomorrow. Just as God determined the first date without my input, I shall remain content knowing He will also determine the second date. Meanwhile, I am left to ponder and address my 'hyphen.'

May I distinguish first the difference between two words: 'luck' and 'blessings.' 'Luck' is success or failure coming to one by chance rather than one's abilities or efforts. 'Blessings' are the words or act of someone and I offer, in this instance my Creator, our God for my many blessings. I was blessed to be born into a loving and nurturing environment where parents and the extended family offered the perfect blueprint advancing the balanced ideals of caring, self-reliance and service to others. I found sport competition as a meaningful outlet expression, which ultimately defined my journey's calling from that of a participant and schooled educator to the coaching-mentor and caring consultant. I was fortunate to do all those things throughout my life; endeavors for which I held a great passion. As I have documented in my recently released book, "Angels On My Journey," I truly believed that it was all a Master's Plan that guided my 80- years.

 I am most blessed to have had the love and support of a girl who became my wife these past 58-years after a seven year courtship. The added blessings of three children, their spouses, 15-grandkids and  some of their spouses plus three great grandkids. On a professional-personal note, I am grateful that at a young age I came to understand that when "taking' a job, my charge was to make that job description larger and more meaningful upon the completion of my tenure. As an educator-coach, I wished to make future student-athletes benefactors of my efforts.

Did I cause anger and perhaps hurt during my journey?  I'm sure I have but never with premeditated intentions. Have I been angered or hurt by others? Most certainly but on each occasion I found either personal or professional resolve in my determination and commitments.

I am aware of life's limited time and I accept my remaining days as I have all previous days...with a willingness to serve with complete faith in my Lord. I cannot imagine another man more blessed, fortunate or if you wish, luckier than I. The story defined in my hyphen causes me great humbleness, thankfulness and a desire to push ahead.

Regrets? Some.
Pleased? Somewhat.
Own the hyphen? Absolutely!

That said, The One who enters the two dates will judge all hyphens.
(Touch)
Pass Me Not

No comments:

Post a Comment