Tuesday, February 12, 2019

# 5- Ownership To Positive Causes

ADMINSTRATION COACH RELATIONSHIP-

I imagine no parent ever wishes to hear bad news about their kid from somebody other than their kid.
When there is potential 'bad news,' we always want a heads-up...no surprises! I felt the same in behalf of my parents and my bosses. As a child or teen, I kept my folks in the loop regarding my activities and behavior. The reason: Two-fold-factors>respect & fear.

As a coach, I always assumed that more often than not my school administrators wished smooth sailing  and no surprises. I would also like to believe they wanted to support me and have my back. If that be true, why would I not give them a heads-up rather than allowing them to hear something about my program or my personal life at Rotary or when leaving Sunday Services? I desired to have my bosses 'in the loop' and on my side.

COACHING BEYOND THE  X'S & O'S:

Few coaches give thought to the peripheral factors, which can have a positive impact on the program and the coach's own profile. As I have previously stated, I wished to re-define every position (job) I had. I believe the following program implementations accomplished both and served as incentives for current athletes.

A WEST CENTRAL ILLINOIS ALL STAR BASKETBALL GAME:

I approached two (Jerry Symons WEAI radio & Buford Green Journal/Courier) highly respected media men in Jacksonville with the following ideas and both joined in a collective effort to establish JHS and West Central sport recognition programs,  which remain sport staples forty years later. The first idea was a West Central Illinois All Star basketball, game at season's end. Fifty schools in stated area comprised the selection pool for North and South Teams. The Jacksonville Bowl has serves as the All Star game venue. This event gives many high school basketball players a once in a lifetime opportunity to be called an 'All Star.' The game is sponsored and operated by WLDS/WEAI RADIO with proceeds earmarked for charities.

A JHS HALL OF FAME:

I also approached Symons and Green with the idea of a Jacksonville high school All Sports Hall of Fame Induction of worthy former JHS athletes. This Hall of Fame would do two most desirable   things: 1) It would honor the unique and outstanding accomplishments of former JHS athletes and 2) It would suggest a standard of excellence for current athletes. Symons and Green along with District  Superintendent Bob Crowe and assistant Superintendent, Joe Dewees joined efforts and made it happen. A beautiful Hall of Fame 'room' was constructed in the Southwest upper concourse of the JHS Bowl and houses numerous memorabilia.

WEST CENTRAL ILLINOIS ROTARY ATHLETES:

Using the same identified media coverage area referenced as West Central Illinois, I approach Jacksonville Rotary Club members, Ron Tendick and Tom Stevens about that service organization's possible interest in supporting an annual Scholar-Athletes' Awards Recognition Dinner. The idea was to establish both academic and athletic criteria of a male and female student-athlete from each of the 50-West Central Illinois high schools and fete them at the end of school. The Rotary Club stepped up and that honor program continues these past 39-years.

(Note: These ideas that I embraced were designed to honor and encourage young people while giving  a positive model for future student-athletes. I am as pleased with these effort as I am with any coaching accomplishments. That said, I can tell you that those ideas would have died in my mind if   not for the likes of Jerry Symons, Buford Green, Bob Crowe, Joe Dewees, Bob Gill, Ron Tendick, Tom Stevens and numerous other behind the scenes folks.)

As I preach, re-define your job description and make it larger at your departure...young people are the benefactors.

No comments:

Post a Comment