Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Call Me Kaw-Liga

It all began about one week ago. While showering, I noticed my scalp was rather sensitive to the touch and a small lymph nodule behind my right ear was a bit swollen and also sensitive. As the week progressed my neck and scalp conditioned regressed. By this past Sunday, I had several swollen glands on the right-side of my neck and combing my hair was NOT a consideration.

Sunday late afternoon, I decided it was time to go see old friends at the Miramar Beach, Florida 'Urgent Care.' They are old friends considering that our first three years wintering in the Panhandle, I visited those healthcare providers each year but have not been back for two years.  I entered the facility at 5:15PM and to my surprise, I was the only patient. The receptionist greeted me with a warm, "Hi, Mel, long time no see." She said I needed only to show my insurance card because she saw me walking across the parking lot and already printed out my medical info-forms. She said, "I only need to ask one question; Has anybody verbally talked down to you in the past two-years?" I answered, "Only a few Trump supporters."

Promptly the nurse opened a door and called my name. In the moment I physically felt poorly but my spirits lifted. lifted. The Nurse checked my vitals and took info. Soon the Physician Assistant entered the exam room and with a hardy hand-shake inquired about my health the past two years. I told him of my current symptoms and upon examination he was startled to note heavy wax in my ears. He said little about my scalp or gland situation but said he'd write a  prescription for an antibiotic. "Meanwhile, I going to have the nurse get that wax out of your ears," he said as departed.

The nurse came back and handed me a little plastic tray saying, "This is a team effort, while you hold this tray under your ear, I'll spray a solution into each ear." What she failed to tell me is she hooked they instrument onto the parking lot fire hydrant. Within ten minutes she had flushed out enough wax to heat and remove the facial hair from the Russian Women's Olympic Volleyball Team.

Headed from Urgent Care to CVS, I drove to the Pick-Up window only to see the shade pulled down...it was 6:01PM...gotta close sometime. Monday morning there was no waiting for CVS to open at 9:00AM; I've got pain and numerous swollen glands...ER time. While blowing drying my head my scalp was on fire!

We arrived at the ER at a good time, so I believed. WRONG! I was the only patient at 6:30AM. The nurses took vitals and info but told me there was a shift change of Doctors. Must be a Union Shop because nothing's happening until folks 'clock-in & clock-out.'

After a very quick not so thorough once-over, the ER Doctor ordered an antibiotic, pain med and a med to lesson Shingles impact. He wasn't sure it was Shingles, "Just in case." I told the ER Doc that I had the Shingles shot and he said "That shot is only 60%'effective." I'm not convinced it's Shingles.
Actually, since the Panhandle winter has been so damp and cool this year, I'm thinking it's Termites.
(Touch)
Kaw-Liga

PS. One prescribed antibiotic comes with a warning: 'Avoid sunlight.' Really? We came to the Sunshine State seeking sunlight. If inventors can create smart phones with navigation systems and Kellogg can put honey on Cheerios, then why NOT a pill laced with 'sunscreen?'


No comments:

Post a Comment