Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Gotta Do What I Gotta Do

I will go back to Destin, Florida for vacation but not without my Toy Poodle, 'Yodie;' take THAT to the bank. I missed my dog those ten days we were away. He was in good hands with friends and I am sure he did just fine but I missed my dog.

The Florida folks kinda piss me off. Let me explain: Dog racing in the 'Sunshine State' is a big business and historians will document rather harsh and cruel treatment of those beautiful Greyhounds that race and make folks money. On the flip side of that attitude towards man's best friend' you cannot easily find vacation rental property accepting pets. The general Florida attitude towards the Yodie's of the world 'sucks.'

I was explaining my frustration to a gentleman who operates vacation rentals and told him the following story;  "We had a family miniature poodle named Gigi when our kids were growing up. Gigi was perhaps the most precious dog the Roustio's ever had and we have had some great pups. When our girls were five and seven years old they would dress Gigi in doll clothes and push her around in a doll-size buggy. Gigi had one litter of pups and demonstrated wonderful mothering instincts. If Gigi was not being attended to by our daughters, she was curled up on the couch next to my wife.

Our oldest daughter was a senior in high school and our youngest daughter was a sophomore when we had to put Gigi down. Gigi was seventeen years old and suffered from poor vision.  One afternoon Gigi heard a roaring noise and ran from an open door onto our street where she was struck by a motor cycle. Her injuries were devastating but, of course the Roustios made a run at saving their beloved pet. Our Jacksonville veterinarian, John Allan Ebrey said that the dog should not have survived the night but Gigi did. In fact, the Vet made a good observation claiming that it is his opinion many older dogs will cling to life against improbable odds as if they seemingly feel that should they 'give-up' the fight they are betraying their family."  I cried that day and when I finished with my story the vacation rental guy had tears in his eyes and a beautiful three bedroom Destin house for us to rent in the future that welcomes my buddy, Yodie.

Let me assure you readers that is a factual story!  I do not lie about my dogs or my East St. Louis youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment