Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Sing Your Song

Congratulations to all those parents who survived another summer with kids under feet. Those young ones are back in school and parents can now aim for more 'routine-stability,' although given youth activity schedules, parents are winter-time cab drivers. Each one of our three adult children will be sending a grandchild off to college this fall. This is never an easy moment in that parent-child relationship; tears will likely flow and for certain... 'things' and relationships change.

I recall when I left home for that first year (1957) at Illinois State University. When I returned home at the Thanksgiving break, my mother had made significant changes to that which was once my room; suffice to say their was little evidence that I had ever lived in the home. The drastic home-environment changes caused me to wonder just how long mother had been contemplating my departure. Another thing that I noticed over time, while attending college; my relatives let it be known to me that I had adopted many 'liberal ideas.' I would NOT argue their claim. The interesting thing was that many of my 'new-found' liberal views coincided with parents & family teachings of Jesus Christ; especially when it comes to tolerance for others. However, my very staunch Christian family members never could connect those dots; go figure!

Speaking of tolerance or perhaps intolerance, I returned from the Target Store yesterday afternoon where I had picked up a prescription. There were several people waiting in line at the druggist counter. I noticed one elderly gentleman holding tightly to an empty shopping cart while his health care assistant was completing her transaction. The gentleman was either suffering from dementia or some other brain altering malady. He kept singing the same chorus line from the 'Battle Hymn of the Republic.' He had the tune down good but his words got out of order often. He was oblivious to his whereabouts and those around him but continued singing loudly. His nurse kept garnering him as he tended to drift away from her side. Finely a younger man nearby said to the nurse, "Could you please stop him from singing, it's irritating?" I wanted to tell the intolerant young fella that he was an asshole but I bit my tongue. The nurse reminded her patient several times to stop singing but after a brief pause 'Mike' would rev up his song once again. As the health care lady completed her business and walked away, I shouted to 'singing Mike,' "Mike you keep singing that song...never stop."

Once I had finished my prescription business, I turned to leave and just could not resist; I was tired of biting my tongue. I said to the young man who was irritated by the singing, "You are a ASSHOLE!" I know that my comment was not very Christian-like; you see I too am 'intolerant' of some people; mainly ASSHOLES.

No comments:

Post a Comment