Monday, August 12, 2013

You Hope Even For Strangers

Sorry about the absence lately. Gerry and I spent some time away from the homestead in the sunny south on Destin, Florida's white- sandy beaches. We stayed at The Inn @ Crystal Beach; I'd recommend it to all. Destin was once a matter-of-fact, clumsy-messy fishing village and today it is a thriving metropolis of recreational, shopping and eatery offerings. During the week long stay, we witnessed two beach-weddings and unfortunately a possible drowning; hope that I am wrong on the latter but the indicators were all present.

The first day at the condo, I was taking the elevator down to do my first of many walks; I overheard a young married couple with a toddler daughter fussing with each other. A few days later while talking with the young husband, I got all kinds of signals that this marriage was in 'trouble.' Naturally, as the week progressed, I had an eye on the pair and on occasion, I spoke with each independently as well as together. ON the second to last day, the sea waves were particularly strong and high. Most people who ventured very far into the waters had difficulty standing against the relentless waves bashing towards the shoreline. I noticed my 'fussing couple' holding each others hand and dropping their heads towards the oncoming waves in an attempt to stand the tide's pressure and wade farther out into the seas.

On the last day, I was going into the garage area to garner a luggage carryall when I met the 'quarrelling' couple as they headed towards their automobile; I could not help but seize the opportunity to make a statement and MAKE my point. I wished them adieu and best of luck. I suggested that they take care of their beautiful daughter and enjoy her growing up. I then made reference to watching them a couple days earlier when they held hands and put their heads together towards the strong waves; I told them, "As I watched you guys that day, I thought how symbolic your efforts were to the challenges of life facing any young couple. This life's journey is pretty much like those waves (at times) and the only way we survive is to hold hands and meet the challenges head on with determination." I hope they can survive their tides.

I also noticed another beach-phenomenon. More and more young and old women have tattoos. Some have so many tattoos that it caused me to wonder what other idiotic, stupid choice did that gal make that particular drunken night.

No comments:

Post a Comment