Friday, August 30, 2013

Stop By, We Can Talk About It

I was sitting on the backyard swing yesterday afternoon and began thinking about how good and thoughtful are our three adult kids. Seldom a day passes that these grown children don't telephone us. Of course, there is a bit of a sinister motive on their parts; I think they gather information and when they stumble on a topic which they can giggle about together and make 'screw' of their parents they are all over IT! A few years back our kids laughed at our addiction to 'watching' 'Dancing with the Stars,' 'Family Feud' and 'The Big Bang Theory.' Of course, three years later word leaks out from the grandkids that those T.V. shows are now popular in those homes.

For several years, I wrote a couple of letters every week to my children but once I began posting my blog, I discontinued that letter writing habit. It is for the best, my kids were becoming weary and sometimes aggravated with my letter ramblings. Since substituting the 'blog,' my kids can now choose not to read my thoughts and for the most part, I understand that most do not. My son and one son-in law bother to read 'these' words. My wife would never take the time to check out the blog so, as with any over-bearing husband, I read the blog to her before posting. She always comments i.e., "That's good." "I don't agree with those comments." "You should not use those curse words." I seldom change anything predicated on her opinion but I nonetheless value her thoughts and "YES" you can do BOTH!

When my mother (Lucille) was still living, I would include her in my letter-to-the-children mailings. She would often comment saying, "You shouldn't use those curse words." More than once she took issue with my liberal views on political issues. Once when visiting my mother, a few years ago, I drove mother to visit her 94-year old sister Kate. I recall kibitzing with these wonderful loves of mine and after stating a political opinion, my Aunt Kate looked at my mother and dramatically proclaimed, "Lucille, you raised a DEMOCRAT!" "Holy CRAP" was my blurted response. "You all had a hand in 'raising' this Democrat because for the first sixty-years of YOUR lives, YOU ALSO WERE DEMOCRATS!" My Aunt stared at me as if my words were foreign to her; my mother knew better than to refute my claim.

And so it seems...most often in the American journey and struggles, folks embrace the 'liberal' thinking and once they no longer need to 'slay the dragon,' they sit back in their rocking chairs and mull over bank statements while watching Fox News.

I must stop now, Yodie, the Toy Poodle wishes to go for a walk. If you find yourself near Decatur, give a holler and I'll give you directions to the backyard swing...we can sit-a-spell and discuss my language use.

No comments:

Post a Comment