Friday, November 29, 2013

...but you can't take East St. Louis out of the guy!

The current political atmosphere reassures me that several years ago, I made the correct decision NOT to run. Let me elaborate. It was the late 1970's when I gave a speech to the Collinsville Chamber of Commerce. (At the time, I was coaching Edwardsville high school but living in Collinsville). A few weeks later, a group of Collinsville business men invited me to breakfast and inquired about my interest to 'run' for a political office. They assured me that they could 'muster' the financial support necessary. I told them that I would give it serious thought; I did and I returned a telephone call to the lead Chamber officer and expressed regrets but explained, "I am not your guy."

Those gents were well dressed conservative Republicans and I knew once they came to know this blue-jean wearing liberal it would be the 'oil & water' story. Actually, I was wise never to seek any political office under any political-party's banner. Regardless of college degrees and religious backgrounds, I am a product of Washington Park (East St. Louis) and its unrefined streets. That said, I am certain should a political opponent state a falsehood about me, I would call him out as 'a lying son-of-bitch.' -That reaction usually loses the Christian vote.

There is hope in my truthful acknowledgment. I realize that I have never mastered the ability to pretend, take a punch and turn the other cheek. This is not good. I trust God is not finished with me and hopefully, I will turn out better in quick time!

No comments:

Post a Comment