Friday, November 15, 2013

'Can't Beat City Hall'

 Illinois residence and likely most of the nation is aware that Illinois' State Government is lacking! Seemingly, the one consistent Land of Lincoln government statistic appears to be our propensity to elect Governors who eventually go to prison.

Let me profile a recent paper trial folly, which underscores inefficiency and hypocrisy. Currently, the State Workers and Teachers' retirees are facing a 'must' change choice of Health Insurance coverage. We have three so-called choices. Of course, the options all carry more questions than answers and the comparison ritual is a good imitation of the famous Bud Abbott and Lou Costello comedy routine "Who's On First?"

I will not bore you readers with detailed particulars. However, I do wish to explain one scenario. Some six or so weeks ago, we  teacher retirees received a notification 'mandate' from Central Management Service (Illinois) detailing how we must complete a Dependent Eligibility Verification Audit. This means that I had to send three forms to an out-of-state clearing house agency confirming that my wife of fifty-three years should be covered by my insurance. I had to send a joint-banking account statement, a property tax document and a federal tax transcript. These credentials have to be in the hands of the clearing house before December 6, 2013 or I could forever lose coverage on my wife.

Shortly after this mandate, I received notification from CMS that a 'packet' would soon be mailed to me with all information about the three health insurance companies from which I must select ONE for coverage. I was told I would need to make my choice and post mark mail that choice by December 13, 2013 or I would be dropped from the teacher's insurance program and NEVER be allowed to participate again. The letter also indicated that a schedule of informational meetings would be enclosed in the 'sign-up packet.'

I got that packet two days ago. Three of the scheduled meetings were already held before the packet was mailed...I was just wondering if there is any penalty for Central Management Services; sure appears that they 'missed' a deadline.

No comments:

Post a Comment