Friday, November 8, 2013

Let's Fall In Love

I don't know about those 'fix-me-up' computer dating services but suffice to state, 40 million Americans use these dating services. It would appear to me that what was once 'happen chance' romance has now shifted to a more matter-of-fact yet calculated clinical experience.

These computer probability conclusions leave me cold and baffled. I cannot understand why anyone needs the costly service of statistical crunching-data to find a 'soul-mate.' Personally, I would  doubt some 'outside' emotionless-data to render my interests, attractions and/or desires. I remember once when a computer was fed all kinds of statistical data about boxers Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis, two great heavy weight prize fighters from different eras, to determine who would win if they fought. If that is not totally stupid, I don't know what is!

I have no way of proving the following half-ass theory but I choose to toss it out there nonetheless. My children and grand children's generations have grown up in a visual-entertainment culture that asks 'nothing of the imagination. Our movies and television presentations leave nothing to imagine; we see horrific explosions, gaping gunshot wounds and mostly naked bodies showing much physical gyrations during love making scenes. There seems to be less required of the individual to conjure up possibilities. More and more people wish for instant pills to address maladies, food service 'out' and a click of the 'mouse' to deliver pronto information. Why not a 'click' to bring us our mate for a lifetime; well perhaps at least a few years before we click 'Divorced and Single Dating Service.'

An examination of my courtship offers the unusual by today's standards. I began hanging around Gerry Bischof and 'sitting' with her at the Friday night local theater when she was thirteen and I a mature older boy of 14. We dated for seven years, through the high school scene and married between my junior and senior years at Illinois State University. It is fair to say that we both felt a strong (early) physical attraction to each other however, I kept falling 'in love' with the girl that made me feel special and made me laugh. Fifty-three married years later, I still feel special and the extent to which she causes me to laugh is unbelievable. Our 'history' is our lifeline.
I am convinced that a computer would not necessarily match us and I think how sad the incredible loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment