Monday, November 11, 2013

Win a Little; Lose a Little

A few Sundays ago, I was perched in my usual 'back-row' seat in church when I gave notice to the many folks seated in front of me. It was apparent that there was a greater number of 'blue-grey-haired' older gals than 'grey-bald-headed' old boys. I understand that men and women born the same year will realize an approximate 7-year longer life-expectancy for the 'chicks' over the goats; still the disproportionate number of women to men in church was surprising.

Without any scientific data to support my theory, I toss it out to you nonetheless. People from my generation grew up 'thinking' differently than the generations in my rear view mirror. Let me explain. We 1950's fellas opened doors for the ladies and they allowed us to do so. Many of my contemporary couples found their prime work and child raising years with wives at home and men at work.  After we retired and the kids were gone, the gals found a pleasant life in 'Red Hats,' bridge clubs, volunteer work and shopping. Contrary, we gents still have that radar-clock ticking inside, which tells us to get out of bed at 6 A.M. and DO SOME THING. That means clean the garage, tend to the yard or 'paint' some thing; anything! Simply put, the ladies know HOW to kick back and relax whereas we old fella-farts still measure our worth by building something or killing and skinning something. We empty our tanks quicker than the ladies...result?... more old gals in church than old geezers. Of, course there is another element to factor into the church-equation...men tend to be heathens and stay away from church.

I do think this will change with my grandchildren's generation. More and more women MUST work to make family-financial ends meet! Don't get me wrong, I have eight (8) granddaughters; I am all for women's right to work, equal pay etc. However, along with 'rights,' I have also noticed some gals now curse like men, smoke like men, dress and tattoo their bodies like the fellas; they'll likely forget how to enjoy retirement.
     
 Emancipation always carries a price.

No comments:

Post a Comment