Tuesday, November 5, 2013

No Longer a Home

My wife and I made a quick-trip to Glen Carbon/Edwardsville this Sunday past. The trip purpose was two-fold, we attended a Memorial Service for fifty-eight former residence of the Meridian Village senior living home who died this past year;  my mother Lou was one. We arrived well in advance of the Chapel Service, which was scheduled at 2:45 P.M.; the additional time permitted Gerry and I to join my brother, Tom and his wife Vicky for lunch at Bella Milano's. The visit with my brother and his wife is always good.

The memorial service at the senior living facility marked the second time for me entering that building since my mother died. It remains somewhat difficult to return to the place that my mother called 'home' for nine years before her death. Mother  Lou lived in Meridian's 'independent' quarters for the first seven years before declining health necessitated re-location in the 'assisted living' wing. The care was excellent those nine years.

The hallways hold many reminders of the numerous visits with mother. I would state without reservation that for the larger part, my mother was very strong and independent during the nineteen years she was required to live after my father's death. I know that her ninety-three year old body was ready to give up the struggles and painful maladies, which had invaded her. I believe she is at rest and peace and will have that 'life-eternal' of which she often spoke. My mind 'knows' it was time for her departure from this world my heart still yearns to hear her voice and feel the softness of her hands as she would frequently reach out and touch my face upon our goodbyes....'precious memories how they linger, how they ever flood my soul; in the stillness of the midnight precious memories unfold.'

I encourage everyone to reach out and make those connections with family. Those opportunities are NOT endless. Windows can close quickly and unexpectedly. Do all that you may so to never be facing that ugly feeling...woulda-coulda-shoulda.

No comments:

Post a Comment