Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Some Moments Stay Forever

I plan to write them another note this next month because I wish for them to know that I 'still' remember the impact made by their daughter upon my wife and me. Let me explain.

Several years ago, I spoke at Pittsburg, Kansas high school's athletic department. Before addressing the coaching staff and hundreds of athletes and parents, my wife and I walked through the hall ways of the school. We viewed a memorialized display case of a senior girl who was killed in an auto accident returning from her college boyfriend's basketball game. A photo of the willowy blond beauty defies description. Her academic and athletic accomplishments suggested endless potential. My wife and I was deeply touched by the young girl's story and the two million dollar gift from her parents to the school's athletic department to honor their daughter's brief journey...I wrote the parents the following note:

Dr. and Mrs. Mallatt:

I wish not for this letter to be presumptuous in any manner. May I introduce myself? My name is Mel Roustio and I recently presented a program to the Pittsburg high school athletic department and toured the school's facilities, which compares favorably to any in the country. I am fortunate to travel the nation and share with many high schools; the Pittsburg athletic venue is second to none and your financial gift to that school in the name of your daughter, Megan makes it possible. My wife, Gerry and I spent several minutes reading each and every accomplishment and tribute to your daughter. Megan's many achievements as a student-athlete underscores the obvious; she was a remarkable talent. On our four hundred miles return trip to Decatur, Illinois, we spent much time talking about your daughter and the incredible impact of her young and abbreviated life. I must tell you that we both experienced a spiritual feeling.

I do not pretend to know the magnitude of your loss nor could I adequately speak to it. I would feel certain that through the years thousands of Pittsburg high school athletes will be touched by Megan's spirit and the beckoning from her, 'reach for the stars as did I.'

My wife and I thank you for sharing your beautiful daughter with two strangers; we are better because of our 'Megan moment' and your wonderful gift...yes, indeed, I must jot The Mallatt's a note this Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment