Wednesday, November 27, 2013

I Am Forever Grateful

I have been asked many times, "What was the biggest break in your professional career?" The answer is two-part. I was completing my first year in teaching/coaching (spring 1963) at Assumption, Illinois. I was the head baseball coach and assisted in basketball and football. I wished for that head basketball job. The Illinois State University  placement listings indicated that such a job was 'open' in Mason City, Illinois. I applied for the Mason City position and after the interview, I was told by the superintendent that I was the Mason City school boards second choice; really? I guess second is good for something. One year later, I was surprised to 'see' the Mason City position of head basketball, baseball and athletic director was open again. I telephoned that same superintendent and he said, "Mel, tell me you still want the position and I will drive to your Assumption home with the contract. Superintendent, Ralph Helton did bring that contract to Assumption the next day and without question, the next three years did more for anchoring my coaching career than anything else.

I delighted in finding the Mason City athlete proud, dedicated, responsive and respectful. Those kids wanted to please parents, teachers and coaches. The success of my three Mason City basketball teams reinforced my belief that hard work, role acceptance and an intense preparation approach were keys to winning. Mason City players gave a young Mel Roustio the best coaching blueprint possible.

Part two of the answer to the 'biggest break' question would spotlight the Illinois High School Association. The IHSA offered numerous opportunities. I served the IHSA on the boys' basketball advisory board, the athletic directors' advisory board, the Legislative Commission and I was appointed as Illinois' National Liaison for the American Sport Education Program, a coaching certification process. The IHSA also allowed me to serve two years  as television analyst for the large schools' basketball State Finals. The result of my IHSA involvement led to a most lucrative nationwide speaking experience and prompted me to pen a couple of coaching education books.

It is fair to say, Mason City basketball / baseball players and the Illinois High School Associations' leaders prepared me to serve thousands of schools, athletes and parents. I am grateful and humbled in the blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment