Friday, November 22, 2013

Sad Events and Fading Trust

I am sure that those of a certain age remember clearly where they where and what they were doing on this day fifty-years ago when the news of President John F. Kennedy's assassination entered their brain. I was a twenty-four year old teacher/coach in Assumption, Illinois. It was shortly after one o'clock when the distinct clicking noise of the school's intercom system came resonating through the gymnasium speakers. The voice of high school principal, R.E. Dagner simply and rather bluntly said, "President Kennedy has been shot.!" WOW! I remember the words too vividly.

Looking back on that horrible tragedy, I would point to 'it' as the beginning of my continuing growing distrust and loss of respect in my government. I will always believe that the 'whole truth and nothing but the truth' regarding JFK's killing was never forthcoming from our government officials. In the 1970's the daily television coverage of the Watergate Hearings was another monumental moment of elected officials misgivings adding to my lack of confidence in our elected government officials.  More recently, we count thousands of dead American soldiers and innocent Iraqi civilians because of government deceit.

President Clinton's infidelity was not the first by an American President, but his bold lying was troubling for a nation's people. Recently, an elected politician was arrested in a drug bust where he was caught by federal agents purchasing cocaine. That same elected official voted a few months back for food-stamp recipients to be 'drug-tested.' talk about hypocrisy; go figure...but first, on THIS day, remember a son, husband, father and President who was murdered on our American soil fifty-years ago.

I am NOT alone in this waning trust of government...yesterday, I went to the Post Office (Mound Road, Decatur) to mail my Teachers' Retirement Insurance coverage (new) election papers. These documents must be post-marked before December 13, 2013. The postal clerk asked, "I assume you wish to send this 'certified mail as hundreds of your fellow teachers are sending this document certified!" My reply, "Yes indeed; let's all cover our ass and protect ourselves from Big Brother!"

No comments:

Post a Comment