Friday, January 10, 2014

A Bittersweet Recall

Charles 'Chuck' Garrett was a notable prep basketball/baseball player from Centralia, Illinois. After one year at SIUC he transferred to McKendree College and was an outstanding performer at that school in basketball and baseball; he is a member of McKendree's Hall-of-Fame. After college, Garrett worked under basketball Coach Jack Hartman at Kansas State where Garrett was head assistant responsible for recruiting.


I first met Chuck when he was recruiting Dean Harris who was playing for my Edwardsville "Tigers." I had many enjoyable conversations with Chuck. I found him to be most sincere and personable. He was successful in his efforts recruiting Dean Harris and Dean validated Garrett's quest during his freshman season at K-State performing at a quality level..


The last time I saw Chuck Garrett and spoke with him at length was during Dean Harris' funeral. Chuck did a beautiful job eulogizing Dean. In spite of his devastated feelings he did GOOD.


One conversation I had with Garrett during his efforts recruiting Dean was not about Dean but another younger player in the Edwardsville 'Tigers' Basketball program...Fred Barton. At the time Fred, who comes from great stock and a basketball family, was a rather frail and physically weak freshman. Chuck and I were standing near the foyer-end of the gymnasium when Barton walked by us prompting Chuck to comment, "There is a great kid, but he likely won't be big enough to ever play Division I basket ball." At that time no one would intelligently dispute Garrett's assessment and prediction.


Fred Barton, however epitomized desire the next three years. He was one the most dedicated players I had in my coaching tenure. He spent endless time and energies developing a strong body and a solid offensive and defensive game. Barton was one of those unique  players who understood the importance of leadership and playing within oneself.  I was so proud and happy when Fred enrolled at Kansas State and was a starting guard on a K-State basketball team that won a Big 8 Conference Championship.


 I often used Fred Barton's story in various speaking presentations around the nation when emphasizing the need for dedication and determination  regardless of coming from an affluent background. Fred understood early in life the relationships between desire-passion and hard work.


There is one sad note connected to this flashback recollection: Charles "Chuck" Garrett never saw Fred's ultimate basketball accomplishments; Garrett died in an auto accident while on a K-State recruiting mission while Fred Barton was leading my 'Tigers" to a 'Sweet 16' State birth. My faith-belief tells me that Chuck knew about Barton's climb to success at his precious Kansas State Campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment