Monday, January 20, 2014

I Cannot Make All Things Okay for My Children

I was reading the 'history-corner' section of my local newspaper this past Sunday when I noted the mention of the first anniversary of the death of baseball great, Stan Musial. It is interesting how one memory jogger causes other remembrances. Shortly following Musial's death last year, I recall my twenty-four year-old granddaughter, Lindsay telephoned me. She spoke in simple and sincere expressions when she said, "Boompa, I know that Stan Musial was your boyhood hero; are you doing okay?"


This past Sunday's 'history-corner' report on Musial triggered not just the youth-idol memories of my hero but certainly the caring inquiry and concern of my granddaughter.


Okay, I shall make my point. I have fifteen grandchildren and one great-grandson. The grandkids' gender-breakdown looks like this: eight girls and seven boys. I rejoice and lift each of their names in daily prayers of thankfulness. I praise the Lord for the profound blessing of each child's life. I thank God for those wonderful gifts of health and travel safety bestowed upon our grandchildren.


Understand that I love each grandchild with equal celebration and joy. Therefore, you might ask, 'What's the problem?' I have no problem but at times, I detect vibrations that 'others' may experience angst. Perceptions can easily become realities. Once in awhile I sense that a grown child may think that I don't show 'equal' attention to the combined litters. There is a simple explanation regarding time spent with grandchildren. I reach out with equal interest and attempts to engage with every grandkid; some 'reach-back' more frequently and engaging thus THAT conversation takes longer flights!


It's similar to the different degrees of relationship I have with my mailman, trash hauler and newspaper delivery guy. The mailman stops and visits with me frequently. He talks politics, weather and sports. The newspaper delivery guy stops by the house at 4:30 AM and I am not getting up to visit at that hour. The trash pick-up fella seems to be in a great hurry; we only exchange pleasantries.


I could tell each of my adult kids (at this moment in time), which of their children WILL likely continue to engage them in years to come. I will not do that because of two reasons; (1) They would disagree with my assessment and (2) I wish not to' spoil the movie.'

No comments:

Post a Comment