Thursday, January 9, 2014

There IS a Difference

Yesterday, I mentioned former Jacksonville basketball player, Andy Kaufmann and his uncanny ability to score points. Kaufmann, undoubtedly was the best scorer I coached in a 37-year coaching career; his all time #2 ranking in the IHSA boys' basketball history attest to that conclusion.


Interestingly, Kaufmann was NOT the best shooter I coached. Let me explain. Several years ago, I was watching a basketball contest between Jacksonville high and Alton high school at the Meijers Winter Classic hosted by Chatham-Glenwood high school. During half-time, longtime but now retired sports' writer, Steve Porter of the Alton Telegraph approached me with the question: "Who was the best shooter you coached during your career, Andy Kaufmann or Ricardo 'Dick' Brown," he asked. (Brown played for me at Edwardsville high school in the mid-1970's). The sports' writer seemed a bit surprised when I said Brown was the best shooter but Kaufmann was the best scorer. When I explained the difference between scorer and shooter, Porter was satisfied.


Here is that explanation: Andy was a big strong-bodied high school player who could, and often did, muscle his way to the interior shoot score and get fouled and then convert the free throw. He would also shoot, miss, rebound, shoot again and get fouled then make the free throw. That is truly a scoring machine. Stop and do the the stat numbers. Andy went on to have an outstanding career at the U of  I.


Dick Brown was a super quick, stop and pull-up in the blink of an eye and pop a 22' jump shot. He was impossible to stop in the open court transition. Brown went on after his graduation from Edwardsville high school to play one year along side Robert Parish at Centenay and completed his college career at Pepperdine University. Brown then played professionally for the Philippine National Team.



No comments:

Post a Comment