Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Where Is the Bar of Soap?

When my wife and were dating in the mid-fifties, we attended many movies. Then came those married years with endless work and (eventually) parenting time requirements. We were lucky to have a break after supper hours to 'watch' a little television.
The children found their way into adulthood and soon the 'nest was empty;' we now find ourselves 'dating' again and going-to-the-movies.
I recall my parents discussing the wisdom allowing me to go with them to the Drive-Inn theater to see the movie, 'Gone With The Wind.' Rhett Butler (Clark Gable) said a bad word, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."
Over the weekend, we saw the flick, "August: Osage County." Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts use the 'F' word freely and often. I understand that the movie 'Wolf on Wall Street' floats the country's national anthem 506 times; I guess that's a film record.
If you watch 'Comedy Central' on television it is obvious that very little is funny to the American public without an 'F' laced presentation.
I refuse to judge on the matter but I will say this: The American public needs to be less 'holier-than-thou' pontificating a Puritanical moral-code superiority as it looks 'down' on other nations who are seemingly 'ungodly.' We must  understand that frequency of vulgar-language, the easy availability of weapons and promiscuous behavior will have negative societal consequences...PLEASE, don't put this one at the Educator's feet! Own it folks!


No comments:

Post a Comment