Monday, January 6, 2014

Doctor Doctor

During my journey, I have served on several advisory boards. Each appointment held opportunities to learn more about 'the process' and influence change. I enjoyed the experiences. There was four (4) different Illinois High School Association advisory board assignments each with an specific focus and all with the mission to identify problems and offer solutions. I served the IHSA on the Boys' Basketball Advisory Board, the  Athletics Directors' Advisory Board, the Legislative Commission and two years as the IHSA National Liaison to the American Sport Education Program; a program designed to certify non-educators as 'coaches.'

Recently, my wife and I accepted the invitation to serve on the Springfield Clinic's 'Patient Advisory Board. Our second meeting is coming up January 17.  I am 'feeling' my way with this medical-service-opinion-committee membership.

At the first meeting, I weighed in on the obvious lack of cooperation between the two Decatur Hospitals; Decatur Memorial and St. Mary's. Everyone in attendance shook heads in agreement and the liaison person taking notes to report back to the "Doctors" wrote every thing down...I am sure nothing will change because our two hospitals 'see' competition equating to monetary gain...take THAT customers!

This next meeting, I intend to broach the subject of doctor-patient contact. In the 1940's I saw my family doctor on three occasions: (1) office appointment, (2) house call or (3) Friday night at the local high school basketball game. Today, I 'see' my doctor if I make an appointment, although that ain't a given because I might be ushered to the 'Physician's Assistant' instead. Note: Through the years, I MUST SEE the Doctor before he would prescribe medication. Now there is a 'new' Doctor-Patient relationship-contact on the horizon: 'Doctor-on-Demand.' You bet! I can now use my iPhone to transmit a photo of my sore throat to the Doc and he will prescribe meds...are you shittin' me?

I will have several question to ask at this next meeting but the ultimate question requires a two-part answer...
Does Doctor-on-Demand improve patient service and lower medical costs? You all care to guess?!

I must be careful with the manner in which I pose these questions; I wish not to upset the 'medicine-man... and cause an angry attitude that could play out during my next rectal exam.



No comments:

Post a Comment